The Schuyler-Hamilton House, also known as the Jabez Campfield House, was built in 1760 on the eastern edge of the small village of Morristown. In 1765, a young doctor, Jabez Campfield, purchased the attractive four-bedroom home. He and his bride, Sarah Ward, lived in the house for fifty-six years, until 1821. Dr. Campfield served as a surgeon during the Revolutionary War. During the winter of 1779-80, Dr. Campfield's house served as the home for Dr. John Cochran, who was assigned to General Washington.
Very soon, Alexander and Betsy began courting, often in the Campfield House.
By April they had reached an “understanding.” They married at Betsy's home in Albany, New York, in December 1780.